Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Bujagali Falls
Before I came to Uganda, I’m not sure I knew the Nile River was here. I think of the Nile, and I think Egypt, history, civilization’s beginnings. But it is here, and actually has its source here in Uganda! Tonight, we went to Bujagali Falls, a magnificent falls where the wide river bends around a small island. The current is fierce, the water is rushing, and it is beautiful. It was again, one of those moments where I was very aware of the dichotomous situation I was in…the beauty of the waterfall stands in stark contrast to the environment which led us to it. This is Africa. On one hand, it is gorgeous…God’s creation at its finest. On the other, it is a picture of what man has done to it. As we were driving out to the falls, I told Suzanne, that if I tried to describe what it was like, I wouldn’t be able to find the words. I will try to paint the picture, but trust me, I will not do it justice. The road is basically a rutted out, pot-holed, gully of a red dirt path. To drive on the road, it feels like it would if you were driving through an open field full of holes and rough terrain. My head felt like my brain had been slamming against my skull by the time we arrived! The skilled driver attempts to avoid the worst of the gullies and trenches made by the rain washing out the road, but it is impossible. Additionally, all along the way are small villages. The people are walking, the women carrying babies on their backs or loads of cargo on their heads or both. Mud homes line the road and there are small booths which look about the size of an old outhouse, but they are the stores selling anything from food to cell phone airtime. (That one really cracked me up.) There is so much need everywhere, which makes me appreciate people like Katie and the young woman I met here, Renee Bach, who have chosen to live a selfless life to serve these people. They take the children in, the sick and the homeless, and they show them love. They live here in this poverty-stricken, disease-ridden, beautiful, sad, joyful place, and they love it. It touches me so deeply.
On another note entirely, please continue to keep the Mayernick’s in your prayers as they care for Josie. She is amazing…love seeing them loving on her! Asher is doing SO WELL!! He LOVES his mommy and can’t wait to be home. Pray for them as the court date approaches that the wheel will turn in their favor and they will be able to go home!
So grateful for the Doyle’s getting their court date! Judah is precious…got lots of pictures today, Lindsey, if I can ever get online to upload them! It’s becoming a joke around here! Gwen—got lots of Daisy and Joseph too! Still praying your court date is soon!
Blessings and love!
Renee

2 comments:

  1. Oh my I know exactly what you are talking about!! Although the road to get to the Nile is horrific it is definitely worth it. It is absolutely breath taking and indescribable. I am praying for you guys daily!!

    Many prayers and Much love!

    anna mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am sure you have seen amazing things and creations by God ... I can't imagine how humble you must feel in awe of it all ... seeing the children's faces, the majesty of the land, the mother's in line w/ the necklaces ...

    i can't wait to have a really long talk w/ you !!!! thanks for praying for me too .... love ya

    ReplyDelete