Friday, October 2, 2009

On the way home

Suzanne and I are in Amsterdam, having just finished the first 8 hour leg of the flight. I wrote yesterday from Entebbe for about an hour discussing all the deep, thought-filled things I wanted to remember about my time in Uganda, but alas, the draft did not save. I am trying to be big, like Suzanne, and just say, oh well, and not feel this teeny, tiny smidge of frustration. errrrrrr.

I am grateful to be going home and see my family and friends, and I am grateful for the time I had in Uganda. So many things to remember...all of the tight hugs and sweet kisses from Katie's girls (love you girls!), the way Patricia laughs with her nose all scrunched up, and Jane's commanding personality that makes you want to squeeze her in two! I have pictures in my mind that I hope I will carry with me. A procession of women walking down a dirt road vibrantly dressed in their long, flowing dresses, with huge parcels loaded on their heads, regal, heads held high. The huge storks that dominated the trees outside the Gately where we stayed, which overlooked the Nile. The children at Amani playing outside in the yard or lined up to eat their meal or receive their bath. The "thank you, please" from someone who'd just served you a meal or sold you a souvenier. The six year old girl who was adjusting her completely naked little baby brother in the sling she had wrapped around her back as she walked through town. The pregnant woman carrying a child on her back as another walked at her knee. Esther's sweet smile and soft voice, the view from our breakfast table. The Karamajong children running and screaming, "Auntie Katie!" as she pulls her van into their village, or those same children getting behind that van and pushing us out of the mud we were stuck in! The 70+ women draped in beads they had made for Suzanne to buy, so proud of themselves, so happy for their ability to provide income for their families. Gloria's eyes as she looked into mine as we drove her to the hospital. (The doctor released her from the hospital, because he believed that she had brain damage for untreated malaria...cerebral malaria, possibly...Katie is taking her on Monday to Kampala to have a CT scan done. Please keep her in your prayers.) These and countless, literally countless, other images fill my mind and I'm quite sure I'll be processing much of it in the days to come. I just don't want to forget.

But the images that bear strongest are the ones from the faces of my friends as they walked through the time of adopting Josie and Asher. The joy, the pain, the frustration, the laughter, and most of all, the "digging deep" to commit to whatever the process brings because of their love for the children, but mostly love for their Lord and willingness to obey His call. It has been a JOURNEY so far, and it is not finished! Please continue to pray for the Keck's and the Mayernick's as they trust that He who has called them is faithful to complete it, and as they go through the process of bringing these children home.

I can't wait to hug and squeeze all of you! "Each time you cross my mind, I break out in exclamations of thanks to God."( Phil. 1:14 The Message) And today, I thank Him, too, for the incredible experience and privilege of loving others and being loved BY others in Uganda!


Much love and joy~!
Renee
Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment